The CLEEN Foundation (formerly known as Centre for Law Enforcement Education) is a non governmental organization established in January 1998 with the mission of promoting public safety, security and accessible justice through the strategies of empirical research, legislative advocacy, demonstration programmes and publications, in partnership with government, civil society and the private sector.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
- Specialization: Accounting/Auditing
- Industry: NGO
- Job Type: Full Time
- Experience: 3 year(s)
- Qualification: HND, Bachelor’s Degree
- Location: Abuja.
CLEEN’s organisational structure is intended to encourage staff members to be involved in all aspects of project work, from conception to proposal writing, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and assessment, and to work effectively as a team to achieve our organisational objectives. CLEEN also believes in constant in-house and professional training for staff in areas applicable to its work, constantly developing staff skills and abilities. We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our mandate for justice sector reform. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where Professionalism, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
- The Assistant Finance Officer has the responsibility to Assist the finance director/Manager in managing, processing and troubleshooting various accounts and transactions.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Assist in the Preparing and processing of all Project Budgets, and to manage all project’s cash disbursements and advances so that all money that is being spent or given to staff members (for per diem, purchasing goods under the procurement threshold, e.t.c) is accounted for and receipts collected.
- Perform routine calculations to produce analysis and reports as requested by the finance Manager.
- Help oversee and manage individual accounts.
- Review all requisitions and ensure timely and appropriate cash flows.
- Create, send, and track all invoices from vendors, subcontractors, consultants, e.t.c.
- Review and adhere to department budgets.
- Collect and enter data for various financial spreadsheets.
- Review and audit financial statements and reports, ensure all calculations and data entries are correct.
- Reconcile any discrepancies or errors identified by conversing with employees and/or clients.
- Report any troubling discoveries or suspicion of wrongdoing to the proper authorities.
- Collect information for and prepare payroll payments for employees.
- Assist the financial Manager in creating financial reports on a regular basis.
- Adhere to the company’s or organisation’s financial policies and procedures.
- Answer questions and provide assistance to stakeholders, customers, and clients as needed.
- Attend finance department and organisation-wide meetings, sometimes assisting with financial reporting to managers and senior executives
- Suggest changes or improvements to increase accuracy, efficiency, and cost reductions.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- Manage the electronic spreadsheet/format for receiving and disbursing funds; coordinate the preparation and timely submission of monthly financial reports and other reports as required. Ensure accurate keeping of account books (electronic and paper) for other CLEEN offices.
- Ensure that timely and accurate information is generated and disseminated accordingly to the project team, to inform activity planning and forecasts.
- Process all banking activities in the office, ensuring that bank account records are accurately maintained, and that bank statements are obtained on a timely basis.
- Process all payments (cheque and/or cash) to vendors, service providers, and partners in line with CLEEN policies/requirements and ensure all financial transactions in the office are appropriately approved, authorised and administered, in line with CLEEN and programme policies.
- Maintain the office cash box and disburse cash payments. Ensure weekly cash counts are done and properly documented by non-finance staff.
- In collaboration with the line manager support the training in financial management in accordance with CLEEN’s financial management policies.
- Proficiency in the use of Accounting SAGE package.
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Level of Education – B.Sc., B.Tech/HND or equivalent in Accounting
- Specified Study Area – Finance / Accounts / Business Administration
- Experience in working with an NGO or partners accountable for grants and other financial support provided to implement project activities, particularly at community level.
- Excellent verbal communication and listening skills.
- Language Requirements: Spoken English-Excellent; Written English-Excellent
- 3 years’ experience working in Nigeria and familiar with the terrain, a plus
- Excellent using MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Professional certificate in accounting and finance – ACCA, ICAN or ANAN will be an advance
Behavioural capacity (Values in Practice)
- Accountability/Transparency: Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling CLEEN values. Openness in all official dealings.
- Ambition: Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same. Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Collaboration: Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters. Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength. Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Creativity: Develops and encourages new and innovative solution.
- Integrity: Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
- Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be assessed as received and ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted. CLEEN Foundation reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward a one-page application plus a maximum 3 page CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 31st July 2018