Ensuring Public Safety and Security in Nigeria Amidst Recent Attacks on Security Personnel, Installations and Infrastructures
CLEEN Foundation strongly condemns the recent wave of attacks and killings of Security personnel, particularly the Nigeria Police by armed groups, including armed robbers. Also, we condemn the attacks on joggers and the nefarious activities of the one-chance operatives across the country, particularly in the FCT. These wanton attacks and killings have raised significant concerns about public safety and security in the country. As an organization, we acknowledge the gravity of this situation and underscore the need for immediate and comprehensive actions to address these challenges and safeguard the well-being of law enforcement officers and the general public alike.
The surge in violence against security personnel, with emphasis on the Police, not only jeopardizes the safety of the dedicated personnel who serve and protect our communities but also poses a direct threat to the rule of law and public order. The scale of these attacks is alarming, and it is essential that as a society, we unite to address this issue.
The Security personnel, particularly the Police play a vital role in maintaining law and order, upholding the principles of justice, and ensuring the safety of the citizenry. The safety and security of our officers are of paramount importance, and any attack on them is an attack on the foundations of our society.
We therefore call on all levels of government, civil society organizations, and the general public to join hands in addressing this crisis. It is imperative that we work together to:
1. Strengthen the capacity of Law Enforcement: Provide law enforcement agencies with the necessary resources, training, and support to enhance their capacity and maintain public safety.
2. Community Engagement: Promote community policing initiatives to foster trust and collaboration between the police and the communities they serve.
3. Investigate and Prosecute: Ensure that those responsible for the attacks on security personnel, particularly the police, are identified, apprehended, and brought to justice through transparent legal processes.
4. Public Awareness: Raise awareness of the importance of law enforcement and the critical role they play in society, as well as the consequences of violence against them.
5. Support for Victims: Extend support to the families and loved ones of police officers who have lost their lives or sustained injuries in the line of duty.
6. Policy Reform: Continuously assess and push for the reform of police practices and policies to align with best practices in modern law enforcement, focusing on the protection of both officers and the public.
Even as the rains come to an end, we implore the government on all levels, to pay attention to the relationship between the herders and farmers in the communities to curtail any unpleasant attacks and incidents or breakdown in law and order.
Human rights violations by security operatives in Nigeria have been a long-standing concern, with various reports and organizations documenting instances of abuse and misconduct. These violations often occur in the context of law enforcement and counterterrorism operations. The Nigerian government has continued to address these concerns and call for reforms in the security sector to prevent human rights abuses. Reforms are essential to ensuring the protection of the rights and dignity of all Nigerians and to building trust in security institutions.
We further urge citizens to remember that the police are essential partners in ensuring a safe and secure environment for everyone in Nigeria. Public safety and security require collective efforts, and acts of violence against law enforcement officers only undermine these goals.
CLEEN Foundation is committed to working with government authorities, civil society organizations, and concerned citizens to promote public safety, uphold the rule of law, and protect the men and women who dedicate their lives to protecting our communities.
In conclusion, we extend our deepest condolences to the families of all security personnel who have lost their lives in the line of duty and express our solidarity with the law enforcement community during this challenging time. Together, we can overcome these challenges for a safer and more secure Nigeria.